Into the West
"Why do you weep? What are these tears upon your face? Soon you will see all of your fears will pass away. Safe in my arms, you're only sleeping..." ~Into the West, LotR
Friday, May 06, 2005


 
Hectic

Work was sloooow today. Rain clouds don't make for smoothie cravings, I guess. Never worked that way for me. I like my smoothies rain or shine. Or snow, for that matter. *grin*

Life is a little hectic right now. What with school, work, church, friends, and various other demands on my time, I barely have any time left to breathe, let alone post, sleep, eat, or think.
The not-having-time-to-think is bad, particularly since I'm in a Critical Thinking Class, and I have an essay due on Tuesday and a research paper due in two weeks. *sigh* And here I am, posting.
Maybe I'll brainstorm a little while I'm posting.

I'm supposed to write about Utopia, the ideal society. Specifically, pick a part of society that I think is broken, and fix it. Easier said than done, I'm sure, and even easier said than written. I have no clue. You know me, I'm an accepter. Yeah, maybe it's broke, but if there's nothing I can really do about it, I'll leave it alone. I'm not an idealist. I don't particularly enjoy hypotheticals and open-ended questions. Maybe that's why I like math: there are verifiable answers there. Until, of course, you get to theoretical math. But I'm not going there.
So, anyway, parts of society that are broken. Where shall I start? The ease with which one can obtain a divorce? The ease with which one can get an abortion? Our foster care, or non-care, system? I mean, the list isn't exactly finite. We have a flawed society that really isn't what I would call a Utopia. Sure, other people would call it a Utopia, but like Dr. Seymour says, the closer we get to what we thought was Utopian, the more we realize that it isn't it, that something else is Utopia.
So, what am I going to write about? I really have no idea.

The research paper is about Justice. I'm not going to have any easier of a time with that than I am with Utopia. *grumble* And my mother isn't even here for me to bounce ideas with. My mother is a very practical, realistic person. I enjoy talking to her, and I really, really, really miss her when she's gone. Only four more days!

Oh, and, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MICHELLE!!!
One more blissful year of teenaged excuses, then you will be forever banished into the realms of adulthood. Bwahahaha!
Love ya, darlin'! Can't even remember what it was like when I didn't know you! You're one of those people who have just always been there, whether they really have or not.

If anyone is interested in the poem below but can't understand it, let me know and I'll post a translation. Of course, it loses something in the shift between languages, but you'll get the idea.

I need to do something contructive.
Have a day, everyone.