Change
Life is a rollercoaster, and sometimes you just hang on for dear ... well, life.
Sometimes I want to shut my eyes and scream my throat raw. But that's not socially accepted, so I'll have to channel that desire elsewhere.
Anyway...
Today was my manager's last day. *sighs*
I really really really wish JJ wouldn't make a practice of hiring people directly into management positions. I don't much care about them being hired "over my head," but the fact that the three managers directly over me in the chain of command have been doing their jobs for less than six months in one case, two months in another, and one month in the remaining, means that they have little/no experience... and THAT bothers me.
I mean, when a problem comes up, a customer gets ticked off, a machine doesn't work, a question arises about the menu... and I don't know the answer, I want to be able to ask someone who DOES know. Generally, that would be my Assistant, General, or District Manager.
Not no mo'.
Batman (my manager's nickname) was awesome, because he had been around forever, had been a Team Member, a Shift Leader, an Assistant, and then a GM. He knows everything about everything. He knows what works and what doesn't. He can handle the grouchy customers and make me laugh about it afterwards.
In essence...
Nobody knows what they're doing anymore!!! They're all training! When it comes to direct customer service, I know more about running the store than they do.
Argh.
Whatever. I'm sure I'll get over it. Eventually.
Or I might just give up and find a new job.
I suppose the point of this entire tirade is that I'm really, really going to miss Batman.
It took me a while to realize why I'm taking this so hard...
Then I noticed that it affects about a third of my life!!
I'm at work an awful lot.
So. Today.
I gave Batman a Batman blanket.. which is the only thing Batman that I figured he didn't already have three of. I was right. And a card. I told him that if his new store doesn't appreciate him, we'd be glad to have him back.
I dealt with the new manager and some faulty orders from our new DM.
I dealt with a new team member who can't make more than one smoothie at a time, no matter how many tags are waiting, and is scared to death of even attempting pouring a smoothie.
I listened to someone complaining to me about a situation I can do absolutely nothing about. I really don't know why this person told me in the first place.
I dealt with people who kept asking me how I was doing and insisting I explain when I tried to answer honestly. If I thought I could make this go away by talking about it, I would. But talking about it isn't going to help, particularly to people who won't/can't do more than say, "Aw... I'm sorry." I don't really want/need sympthy right now.
What
do I need? I'm glad you asked.
I have absolutely no clue.
Anyway, it's nothing you need to worry about.
In other news, I've a spiffy idea for a new story, and I can actually write it. It's been so long since I've written anything decent that I'm kind of experiencing the joys of writing anew. If only I had more time to write....
My Anthro teacher is hysterical. We were discussing the various subcultures in America. Specifically, African American, Native American, Asian American, and Latino American. When she started talking about Latinos, she gave this big shpiel about how it was Latino-American and not Mexican-American because not all of them are from Mexico, and some aren't even from South America and others don't even speak Spanish.... and on and on. I'm fine with that. Perfectly okay. Just let me know what you expect so I can get it right on the test, right?
So she hands out the test. (It's take home, so if you want to see it, you may. I don't know why you would subject yourself to it, though.) First section, T/F on Asian Americans. No problem. Second Section. T/F on... are you ready for this?.... Mexican Americans.
No. I'm not kidding. I even went up to her and asked, did you mean to type this? 'Cause it would mean the difference between T and F on several questions. She looks it over and says... "Yes. that's what it's supposed to be."
*sigh*
I despair for my so-called "College Education" at times. It's only teachers like Dr. W and Dr. Seymour that leave me with any remaining hope whatsoever. I suppose I'll just have to seek their kind out and ignore the rest.
Kinda what I've been doing, I guess.
It's rather on the late side.... Like, midnight.
Albeit, I don't have to work for another twelve hours, I still should go to sleep. Or at least go lay down and relax and read a book. Something soothing, anyway.