"One need not be a chamber--to be Haunted--"
We've been reading Emily Dickinson in American Lit, and I must confess I fell in love with several of her poems. Not all of them, but there were a choice few that I found intriguing.
This one for instance.
"One need not be a chamber--to be Haunted--
One need not be a House--"
I've been Haunted. Not in the spooky-ghost-Hallowe'en sense of the word. I haven't heard chains rattle in my room or any such weird occurences.
But I've been Haunted nonetheless.
Unable to rid myself of a face that constantly floats before my eyes.
Unable to hear a voice without being reminded of someone.
Turning around, expecting to see that someone standing behind me.
Catching a glimpse of them out of the corner of my eye, turning, and coming face to face with disappointment.
Everything I see reminding me of them, everything I hear sparking memories.
Seeing them all around, hearing their voice everywhere, even when they are nowhere to be found.
Yes, I've been Haunted.
But enough about me.
Here's another poem by E Dickinson.
"I died for Beauty--but was scarce
Adjusted in the Tomb
When One who died for Truth was lain
In an adjoining Room--
He questioned softly "Why I failed"?
"For Beauty," I replied--
"And I--for Truth--Themself are One--
We Brethren, are," He said--
And so, as Kinsmen, met a Night--
We talked between the Rooms--
Until the Moss had reached our lips--
And covered up--our names--"
*sigh*
I'm going to miss American Lit.