Into the West
"Why do you weep? What are these tears upon your face? Soon you will see all of your fears will pass away. Safe in my arms, you're only sleeping..." ~Into the West, LotR
Tuesday, February 07, 2006


 
The Journey of a Thousand Words...

...Begins with but a single pen stroke.
Forgive me for borrowing and rephrasing the old proverb, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step." I thought it highly appropriate for the train of thought I am currently following.
I'm sure you are all aware that I love to read. And beyond that, I love to write. Indeed, while I am reading, I am constantly rewriting the story in my head, deciding how I would have handled a particular scene, how I would have constructed that paragraph, how I would have described the action. I learn from every book I read, whether it be something to do or something to avoid. Even the most poorly written books have as much teaching potential as the most skillfully crafted classics.
Perhaps writing delights me so because it sparks my imagination. Certainly, entering another's world on paper is more than a joy for my mind, but never am I so excited as when I can see something in my mind's eye and then cause others to see it as well through the written word. If I can make you feel as if you could meet my characters someday, then I have accomplished my task.
Alas, I feel I am as far from that goal as I ever was.
I have made great strides in the pure form of writing, the skills of description, the proper punctuation, setting the mood, and so on. But as of yet, my characters lack form and definition. One cannot converse with them.
That is, until now.
My single penstroke has been set upon paper. The characters are there, the plot is half-formed, the lands are in my mind. Even more exciting, however, is the fact that I can converse with them. They are as real to me as you are. I cannot wait until they turn contrary and force me to write something I don't particularly want to.
This story has undergone many morphs and changes and is as different now as it was from the original concept as the day is from the night. But the characters hold true. They have endured my indecision and my half-hearted ramblings and my false starts. They have forgiven my bumbling attempts to illuminate their world. And, as strange as it may seem, I am to the point where I am asking permission to tell their story.
And I think they might just give it to me.




Now that you all think I'm completely insane, go away and let a self-proclaimed, slightly deluded genius bend to her task. :o)